Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Was that a nervous twinge?

Really no more so than the usual realization there is no way I am going to get everything I want done that I wanted to do before ANY trip.

I NEED trips-they are the only way I can shut things off. Out of sight, out of mind. Well not really, but I give myself permission not to worry about it. Yeah, yeah-TRUE freedom would mean being able not to worry about it when I'm HOME...but I am merely a fledgling in the Don't Worry, Be Happy frame of mind.

In a few minutes I will go water Mom's precious tomato so it doesn't perish while we are both gone. They get back on Friday, so it should be ok.

Confession time. Mom gave me a tomato and I put it on the table by the front door. The doorbell rang, I banged into the table as I was opening the door. I was so excited by the sight of my traveling books that I grabbed them up, turned around and, oh, the horror, stepped on the tomato with my orthopedic boot. (I was wearing the boot because I was going to wrangle snakes and needed the extra support).

Yes, I stepped on a home grown tomato. Mom is growing the tomato in a garden cart I gave her while the Hammerschlammer whoever high tech grow your own tomatos anywhere contraption rattles around in the back of my truck. So, in addition to moving here too late in the growing season, I have now defiled a tomato.

I really paused for a moment-hoping it wasn't a sign. But, I decided that it meant the shell of my former self is being squashed into a new form. Ok, yeah, I'm a little nervous.

No comments: