Monday, September 17, 2007

Will it go round in circles-aha-will it fly high

...Like a bird up in the sky eye eye....Ok I have some funkadelic lyrics in my head this morning. Preceding this 70's blast was the thought that I do tend to go in circles, but in my wildest dreams I never thought I'd circle back here. I really thought I had looked at this Okie life from all perspectives and was done. Clearly I was mistaken, because here I am.

Of course, even I know it's not Oklahoma or my parents I need to look at-it's me. They are just providing the canvas for me to redraw myself. I think the lesson I've brought back with me from the wild out there is that I am the person who wields the colored pencils. I didn't know that before.

Of course, I always pictured myself coming back in a suit, driving a Corvette, about 103 pounds soaking wet. I'd have something exotic and wonderful like a borzoi for a pet, and my hair would have grown long and wavy. I think I would be two inches taller too. But that's not the picture my colored pencils drew for me.

No wait, that's not what I drew for myself. Case in point-my latest and greatest canine is an 11 year old Chihuahua who weighs about 3 pounds and would blow away in a strong breeze. In her youth, she probably was exotic looking, now she's just a frail dear old lady. And I wouldn't trade her for any borzoi known to man.

With my parents, Uncle John, a couple of old dogs, I am craving new life-a litter of puppies, something, anything. Yet, when I get to choose, I choose the old dog who needs me rather than the unborn puppies who really don't. My pencil, my picture.

2 comments:

Michele said...

There's something to be said for bringing the "old" ones into our lives. They do, afterall, have the wisdom.

Debra Kay said...

Yes, Ms. Bitty is very wise. She has figured out how to use the old lady dog steps to get the best spot on the couch.