Saturday, February 9, 2008

Escape to the River

I picked up my bike today (remember the one I bought in December...well, I've been busy) AND I bought a spiffy new hitch rack that will carry either bike without a problem, a purple helmet and some new half gloves. And then, I did something I've never done before.

I drove straight from the parking lot, down to the river trail, and rode my bike before I even took it home. Tore the gloves off the cardboard, put the helmet on, and with no further fuss, rode. Because bikes aren't for sitting around in the garage, they are for riding, and today was perfect. High 60's, no wind.

The trail is lovely, wide, well kept, with no trees for boogers to hide behind. The dredged river is nice too. It has a ways to go before it rivals San Antonio as a tourist destination, but it's nice to see how far it's come. There is even a boat ramp on the river, not too far from the new Dell Campus.

It was a little lonely not to have a friend to chatter with, but it was also nice just to be alone and moving and in the sun.

I came home, backed into the driveway and unloaded the bike. Went down and said hi to Mom and Dad because they were out in the front yard gardening I didn't mention the new bike (both bikes are black, so they honestly may not notice) or the new bike rack. I did talk about riding on the river and how nice it was.

I think we are all learning the wisdom in "Don't ask, don't tell."

5 comments:

soulbrush said...

now this sounds like just the right thing to do, what a good idea, can picture you out there with the wind in your hair and the peace in your soul. and oh yes, do i agree with 'the less you say the less they know', works for me too.

Mim said...

Sounds lovely - and a purple bike helmet to boot. We were just bemoaning the lack of bike riding that we can do here in the winter, and it snowed yesterday again...and today more snow.

Enjoy your new bike - and bike rack. That's the only way to go.

Debra Kay said...

It feels so good to have a helmet and gloves in the car and a rack on the back. It's a little reminder that alls I have to do is toss the bike on and drive to the trail. It's just not the same riding around in the neighborhood,I think the getting AWAY is important and I really do enjoy riding by water.

Michele said...

You are really making me miss riding so much : (

Debra Kay said...

Girl, I was thinking about you when I was riding-how much fun it used to be! I've got a rack now, so I can meet you sometime-and we can do a short ride. (Thinking maybe not the Peach Pedal though....)