Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Alive and Sitting Up

Not quite kicking yet. But it's noon, and I've kept down 16 oz of fluids that contained 200 calories-that's more than I've kept down for the sum of the past few days.....victory!

Yes, I've been really really utterly and completely sick. First a nasty flu, then complications from the flu. My lap band swelled shut from the violent stomach activity. Now I have a local band doctor and I can pop in for the unfill that I should have gotten a week ago.

The weekend was particulary nasty-even a medicine cup of water would not go down into my stomach-so for 48 hours I was really thirsty. Really. But my stomach, thinking it was hungry, would fill with bile and when the pressure built up, well, explosion. So for awhile my output was greater than my intake. I imagined it was like those people in that awful movie about the couple floating at sea till the sharks ate them must have felt. Not the shark part, the thirst. Frankly, if I was floating around, I would have been looking for a shark to end my misery.

For some reason, people with lap bands hang on that fluid for dear life-which is silly. It can be replaced. Hello. Adjustable gastric band. But in our minds, we want to add fluid, not lose fluid. Which is not to say that I wasn't being a complete dumbass, but it's a common mistake. So, I was a completely common dumbass.

I am being a little bit more savvy about refeeding/rehydrating, to the point of being conservative. I just don't want to puke EVER AGAIN.

8 comments:

soulbrush said...

hells bells i still don't really understand the whole lap band thingie, but i agree about the 'no puke' policy!

kj said...

i could not really read this post. my constitution is too sensitive....

(so glad you are better)

:)

Debra Kay said...

The band really isn't the culprit, it was the flu and then ME not doing the right thing. Imagine (as band detractors will say) a choke chain around your stomach. I knew the rules and chose not to follow them, but next time I get the flu, you bet I will!

Mim said...

Oh please follow the rules my friend, this sounds nasty and then nasty again. Please take care of yourself! Agree with FY, I don;t really understand the lap band thingy but hydration is a GOOD thing.

switch said...

oh Deb, I can stand(even enjoy) talk about shit and sharks and snakes...but somehow puking is on my lalalalal-I-can't-hear-you list.

so glad you are feeling better.

Debra Kay said...

Thanks guys!

Michele said...

I totally agree with the no puke policy as well. I hate puking. Glad you are feeling better.

Maureen said...

I hope you're feeling a 1,000% better now. Take care of yourself.