Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sunday

I took Mom to see Uncle John today. He didn't want to go to church (thank God) and we sat in the main room. John isn't really able to visit, and Mom is uncomfortable with silence. Mom spent the last 50 years in Oklahoma City as a housewife, John was an engineer in Silicone Valley. Sometimes one obviously thinks the other is making no sense, when actually, if you know what they are talking about, they really are.

I've pretty much given up trying to translate and their new mode of conversation is to talk to me. At this point, I think Mom is just glad I'm there (forgetting that JOHN is there at my doing) and we've all surrendered to the process.

John wanted to go back to his room and we all sat on the bed and visited until he was ready for a nap. Mom and I helped him lie down and we left.

It was truly a bitter sweet thing-because although it is terribly sad, we've never been closer.

No comments: