Monday, October 8, 2007

The Family Dinner Table

I am having trouble eating around people an apparently that is a common thing amongst the banded. However, it made me think about the on air campaigns for the family dinner table. Is dinner really the best time to broach painful subjects or exciting subjects?

I do think families need the bonding time of sharing meals, but how we share those meals and what we share might be up for some revision.

Maybe we need to step back even further and say that eating is an activity worthy of it's own time and place and quit double tasking dinner. I mean, what would happen if we just sat there quietly and ate and enjoyed our food?

Since being banded, I get into trouble if I don't at least pay some attention to bite size, taste, chewing, swallowing. But I wonder, if I had done that before, would I have ever ended up being fat in the first place?

We have such confusing messages around food-eat eat eat DON'T EAT YOU'LL GET FAT.....and also, eat, eat but don't pay attention to your food, talk to me....Toddlers, now they know how to EAT. They touch, taste, feel that food, admire
the color, the texture, the smell.

Maybe that's what we should strive for-returning to that state where we interacted with our food before eating it. Back to the days where we had to pay attention or we'd choke.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Maybe we are all overweight because we do place too much emphasis on food. I sometimes feel like all I do is focus on food. What's for breakfast, what's for lunch, what's for dinner? We were trying to have family meals with Zoe but discovered it was way easier to feed her first, get her to bed and then figure out if we even wanted to eat anything ourselves. Most nights I end up skipping dinner because it's just too late.

Debra Kay said...

It's so schizo-we focus on food, but we aren't supposed to think about it or obsess about it-yet if we don't, how does the family get fed? I think there are just too many rules, and some of them are contradictory.