Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thursday 13 Odd Facts/Habits

We all have odd habits and factoids about ourselves. At least I HOPE we all have odd habits or I'm going to feel really really odd when this is posted.

1. In the summer I don't like to wear socks with my sneakers (chiggers---nasty bugs) so I pretty much keep an assortment of sneaks around and wash them like I do my jeans. I always have shoes drying on my fence which gives rise to rumors of having a shoe fetish.

2. I've ditched the coffee maker and brew one cup at time, so that each cup is fresh. I don't think this is odd, I think it's pretty smart, but it is wasteful in terms of filters-so I compost the grounds and filters. Sorry mother earth, I really NEED fresh coffee in a non bleached paper filter.

3. This isn't necessarily an odd habit-but it varies from individual-the staples once must have in the kitchen/home. I require (to feel "just so") vast supplies of toilet paper, a jar of peanut butter, tins of tuna (works for people, cat and dog food), garlic powder, several kinds of chili powder and sweet california basil, tins of crushed tomatoes, fresh carrots, onion and a few potatoes. I don't remember the last time I ran out of toilet paper, but I must have at one time, and keeping a supply on hand, near at hand, is priority one.

4. I truly enjoy anchovies on pizza and in other things. My favorite pizza for a long time was anchovy, onion, fresh tomato, jalapeno and garlic. No one would ever share. And yep, I like it cold too. Shocking, I know.

5. I like really burnt toast and french fries.

6. I am not afraid of spiders and they seem to search me out. If we are in the woods, the spider will always come sit on my arm in a crowd of people.

7. My snakes (keeping snakes is considered odd by everyone by other snake keepers) all have names. They don't know their names, but I do.

8. I tried naming the parakeets, but they seem to be a group thing instead of individual entities-so I think of them as "the boys". I am pretty sure they don't give a damn either way.

9. No.s 7 and 8 are an example of how my mind is not orderly-I don't look at things the same way twice, which annoys some people and sometimes makes me tired.

10. I still haven't unpacked from when I moved to Oklahoma two years ago. A lot of the things I thought I needed, I found out I don't, and other things I forgot I had so I just bought new ones. To borrow a line from KJ-the "cat hair" is about making my house my house, that reflects my priorities, however by NOT doing anything, I've reflected another set of priorities. Like number 9-this annoys people, and me and sometimes makes me tired....LOL.

11. I've had more cars than I can count-I stopped counting at 40 and have now lost count. I think it beats saying the same thing about lovers.

12. I currently live 5 blocks from where I grew up-and this was a deliberate return. THAT still boggles even my mind.

13. I rarely go barefoot. (Long story, multiple glass accidents, no pad left in one foot.....)

What is something odd about YOU? Come on, share share share!

7 comments:

soulbrush said...

great post, now know you so much better, wish you'd stop worrying about what other people think or say...kma all of them...

1.) i have a fetish about my own pillow, i even take it on holiday, when in a hotel, i sleep flat on the mattress with a clean towel under my head, hotel pillows give me the creeps(beat that).
2.)i am scared of drunks...my best friend's dad was a drunk when i was little. i avoid them, and even when they start to get tipsy, i move away!
3.) i cannot bear drunk hysterical, oversensual women falling over men,mascara dripping, hair sweaty, armpits smelly giggling and making asses of thems elves, they turn my stomach.
4.) clean hands(fingernails) are very important to me when i meet someone for the first time.i judge them by this aspect....

(thnik that's enough for today)...tee hee and I make no apologies for my strangeness, anyone who doesn't like it can go kmfa!!!

Debra Kay said...

I don't have your number 1-but I know several people who do. Number 3 is why I rarely go dancing.

Clubs always seem a little desperate to me, but when it's your friends acting like that-it's a bit off putting to say the least. I just want to shout "if you want to get laid, go pick a man and DO it, but don't sit there, sad, waiting to be picked....BAH", it's absolutely demeaning and embarrassing, and completely ruins the joy of the dance for me.

human being said...

the most odd thing about me is that i really really love odd people...
i found all your oddities quite amazing and interesting... and share some of them...
oh... wait... for #5, half-burnt is my favorite!
:)

really enjoyed reading this post Deb... also Soul's comment...


another strange thing about me: i use dancing (word and images) in my works a lot... but i can't dance...
:)

love and peace to you

Debra Kay said...

I'm so glad you stopped by Human Being. Let's dance together for a moment, shall we? I wish I could dance FOR you, but each heart must lift itself.

I also want to point out there is a difference between being aware of what other people thing and caring too much about it. I will always be aware-because it's just my nature to be in tune with those around me. But I try to avoid looking for too much approval-someone who doesn't get it is in no position to approve or disapprove anyway.

human being said...

Deb...
i meant i don't know how to dance...
Iranian girls start to learn dancing since an early age... but i stopped it soon... odd behaviors start from an early age, eh?
:)

but dancing with you sure is fun... you are not a person to frown at my awkward crowy dance...




the discrimination between being aware and caring too much... is really a big point and lesson...

those who are odd are not usually the ones who seek approval... they just live the way they feel is right and let others live too...


love

kj said...

wow this is a wonderful post with wonderful comments. i have to admit everytime i see hb's thumbprints i breathe alittle easier.

well, i lose jewelry. especially earrings. all the time i lose earrings. which is too bad because i like earrings.

and i also need certain staples around me: toilet paper, coffee, milk, bandaids, toothpaste, fruit. i pace when i don't have them all.

i am also too sensitive for my own good.

i can't wait to hook up with you! don't forget your sneakers sans socks!!

xo

Debra Kay said...

I hate bandaids! I'm allergic to them, and if I forget to take one off after giving blood I end up bruised.