2. This IS my family. No use mourning for those who are not here (daughter) because if I do, it will obliterate the joy of those who are. This is a hard one for me.
3. I do not have to rearrange my entire tiny house for entertaining for two days. Clean paper plates, a place for a few people to sit and a fresh toilet paper roll-that's my only obligation.
4. Sometimes over thinking things is just that-over thinking. Learn to leave it alone.
5. I don't owe anyone explanations for anything. (Why do you keep snakes, etc.)
6. I have a lot of toys. I didn't have a lot of toys when I raised my one child alone-that child is gone, I didn't start a second family-but I did start buying toys. When you aren't raising generations of children, you get to have toys. (refer to no. 5).
7. I don't have to let you play with all my toys if I don't want to, or I think you are going to either hurt one or be hurt by one. My toys, my choice. (refer to no.'s 5 and 6).
8. My animals are not toys. When they are tired, they are put away to rest. Not all of them like people other than me-and that's ok, because they are mine, not yours.
9. Yes, I want to draw on the sidewalk with the kids. I don't care what the neighbors think (unless they want to join us).
10. No, sorry, you can't stay here. My extra bedroom is full of snakes-it cuts down on overnight stays.
11. Out of ice/beer/chips? Wow, somebody better run to the store then.
12. I'm not sure why the parrot farts and belches. He was already doing that when I got him. Ok, he didn't say "good LORD" afterward, but, uh, see no. 5.
13. Everything that bites is in a cage. If you stick your fingers in and get bit-don't come crying to me.
Honestly, I am looking forward to the cook out and visit, but these are things I need remind myself of. My brother's kids and grandkids are coming up, and so my brother decided to come for a visit too. Of course, all my household projects are "in process" and not done because I've been sick. But I suppose if you waited till everything got done, you'd never do anything at all.