Monday, April 23, 2007

Monday Musing

I was listening to some tunes this morning and good ol’ Alice Cooper came on. It struck me, with my current situation (Scotty in the yard, houseful of snakes and dogs and various other mammals) that I may have actually achieved some of my teenage dreams. Now, the Camaro has been replaced by a Ford SUV-but it has another one of those teenage dreams-a moonroof.

The moonroof came in handy this morning-it was about as humid as a tropical rainforest and my hair refused to dry, so I opened the windows and opened the moonroof and used the I:30 blow drying system.

My meals were delivered promptly between 4 am and 7 am (that is going to be hard to give up when I can walk again). I had a low cal/low sugar soufflĂ© for breakfast and some leftover Starbucks coffee that I made myself. The lawn guy called to confirm his tomorrow appointment. (I won’t mind giving that up-I really don’t mind mowing the lawn and don’t like paying for it).

It’s weird that we go to work so we can afford to pay other people to do the things we don’t want to do. I’m just glad I can afford to pay for help this go-round...but eventually the novelty of the luxury will wear off and I will want to divert my funds towards more meaningful things like Scotty repair and life jackets. Last go-round I had groceries delivered (that isn’t available now) and I didn’t have a lawn, or a Scotty for that matter.

Time seems to be the biggest commodity for my friends and I. I’m slowed down by my leg, several friends are slowed down by children-yet we still must accomplish what we think we have to. I’m learning to let go of a lot of the things I think I have to do. After 46 years, I’m probably not going to wake up and suddenly keep an immaculate house-so I hire someone to scrub up the scrunge every two weeks and I don’t worry about it any longer.

In my case, even more than the time-getting rid of the horrible guilt for having a dirty house has been a lifesaver. No, I’m not my Mom, and I’m not my Dad either. Both of them are very nice people by the way. I am myself, with talents from both of them, and some that seem be mine alone.

No comments: