Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday the 13 and hard luck tales

Ah the open road this weekend-just a drive up to Oklahoma, that will include a snake drop off/gerbil pickup, lunch at Jakes and then another snake pick up on Sunday. I want to go by the tiger refuge on the way home, but I don’t think my legs are up to it yet and the idea is to occupy myself with things I can do while sitting down -driving, eating, snuggling my spotty dogs who are still in Oklahoma until I can care for them properly. Well, I can care for them now-but getting them out the back steps when they don’t want to go is iffy. Cody and Greta are better behaved in that arena.

I’ve been eating not so well this week, and I’m just not going to worry about it until next week because Jakes is truly food for the soul and may just save me. Jakes is in Chickasha Oklahoma and I may just ask if I can take pictures because there aren’t words to describe the mounds of food. Rib dinners come with two sides-and if you order the taters they are served on a piled high 12 inch dinner plate. That is a plate just for the taters, the ribs come on their own plate. I’ll leave the rest for the post debauchery review.

In spite of it all, I’m feeling fat and old and uncomfortable in my own skin again. I think a person only has SO much energy-optimism and then it needs to be refreshed and restored before they can move on. My leg hurts, my hands are bruised (don’t know how that happened) and I’m just generally battered. Maybe, like the snakes, I am ready for a good shed.

Got go on record about current events. Imus should be horsewhipped, but I wonder if the result would be different if he had said that about a small Okie College team instead of Rutgers. I never liked him anyway-he was mean spirited. WHY I dislike him and I DO like Howard Stern, I really cannot explain. Maybe Howard gets points because he’s a tall, somewhat gawky, Jewish person, therefore he is not “the Man”. Of course Imus is an ugly old goat, but the “Man” can be ugly and still be in a position of power.

At the end of the day, we are all responsible for our words. If you can’t censor yourself any better than that, you don’t need to be in a position to speak to and influence thousands of listeners. The situation also reveals the immense power of the marketplace-we are all free to say what we want, but by golly don’t piss of the advertisers. However, behind the advertisers are the consumer. It’s really all very democratic if you think about it-we are voting with our dollars and the advertisers new Imus had crossed that line and he slammed two very powerful demographics, all black people and all women. “The Man” should perhaps take notice.

Anna Nicole Smith was a junkie. Tragic, like any other junkie, but no more tragic than anyone else, and a lot better off while she was alive. She was no “candle in the wind” but a victim of her own appetites and desire to be noticed. If her son’s death is any indication, her daughter may have a better chance without her than with her. My daughter is a junkie and I pray alot for HER daughter.

Hey, I’m no angel, I sit here drowning in my own appetites for sugar and butter; but I expect no pity and I don’t expect anyone to fix it but me. Maybe a male dominated society created an unhealthy body ideal for ME too, which I couldn’t live up to, therefore I turned to chocolate chip cookies like Anna turned to methadone, et. al.....But at the end of the day, we are all responsible for our actions. Anna just had bigger tits and got a better payoff than I did.

No comments: