Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Farewell Whiterock Lake

I said goodbye to Whiterock lake tonight-it has been a calm center to my Universe for several years. Now, Oklahoma has plenty of lakes, but this isn't about Oklahoma-it's about a place where I spent many hours with my dogs, bikes and friends, just putzing around.

Any body of water puts me in touch with something timeless. I gaze across Whiterock and I can also recall Cozumel, Cancun, Eufaula and countless other bodies of water. I know I'll gaze at another body of water and recall Whiterock, because water is connected that way.

And, maybe, just maybe, with the more rural setting of Oklahoma I won't cling so desperately to a body of water, but I doubt it. Many of those bodies of water I recalled while gazing at Whiterock were in Oklahoma-my cousins pond, Hefner, Thunderbird, the creek at Turner Falls...Yes, water is connected that way.

No comments: