Saturday, February 3, 2007

Chicken Scratch

Ok, the Urban Chicken movement is BIG-a real happening thing. And it is possible to get coops/runs that don't cost more than a high end mountainbike. Now, to be true to my keep it simple phase, I should recycle, go out, find materials, and build a serviceable coop that will not offend my neighbors.

But, I am also trying to keep it real. I don't have the skills and right now, the physical ability. I'm struggling with the realization that my dream of living on a farm will never happen unless I can afford to pay someone to take care of it for me. That one hurts a bit. But that doesn't mean I have to be shut out from nature and from growing things. I'm trying to make the best of what I have, and what I have isn't really all that bad.

I ordered my reading materials for my convalescence-YOU the Owners Manual, A Mrs. Mcmurphy Mystery, some book about having more by wanting less, a book on container gardening, 2 chicken books, etc. etc. I should be well informed in the next few months-ready to solve a murder, operate on a heart or raise a chicken.

I also ordered a vegetarian crock pot cook book. Now REALLY, that seems overkill-how hard is it to figure out what kind of veggies to throw in? But I like reading about the spice combos and such even if I never actually follow a recipe.

I posted one thing one freecycle this week-one of my bowling balls. Cutting out and weeding back must be done in stages. The BIG cut was when I moved across the street from myself and left about half my possessions behind. Weeding out the remainder is a bit more difficult, so I am putting myself on a one thing at a time plan. Of course, in order for it to be successful I will need to refrain from bringing in more items.

At this point, I don't seem myself ever able to live full time in a 12 foot Scotty. Maybe a tiny house on a commune....but I struggle with thinkng I need a second bedroom. Oh well, one step at a time.

The handy man is here and we are going to wrap the scotty in a tarp to keep it safe until I have recovered from my surgery.

No comments: