Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lent

No. I'm not Catholic, but I like the idea of sacrifice making you grateful for what you have and aware of what other's don't, so I typically give something up for Lent. This year, it's Starbucks. And yes, it hurts. It is my stress reliever comfort food protein source all rolled into one. But, it's 5 bucks a cup.

I went to the local hispanic market today-they had chicken thigh quarters on for 29 cents a pound. Score for the dogs and their raw meat diet. The lady in front of me was checking out, paying cash, and was going to have to put back a gallon of milk-without thinking I said, "No, no, I'll pay." And she was very grateful and I felt good.

Let's just say I don't dress for success on gardening/chore/dog days. I was in a muddy pair of jeans, t-shirt and my hair was sticking straight up, so this poor soul probably thought I was in bad shape too. But that made the gift all the sweeter. And suddenly, thinking of her kids who would have had to do without milk, I didn't feel nearly so put out that I didn't get a Starbuck's today.

Another miracle was that I was not at all conflicted about buying meat for my dogs when she couldn't buy milk for her kids. One, the meat I did buy was less expensive than premium dog food and much healthier, and two, they ARE what sustains me, just as her kids probably sustain her.

It's the first time in a long time I've mentally asserted my right to have things too. Maybe I should have given up Starbuck's a long time ago.

2 comments:

kj said...

i like every word of this, deb. what a gift to be able to pay for that gallon of milk. i am always happy when i get to do something so easy for someone else.

and you and the dogs? let there be meat! why the hell not?!

have a good weekend girlfriend.
:)

studio lolo said...

I'm on the fence about raw diets for pets...lots of debate on that one. I say if it's done right, yay!

The milk scenario is wonderful! And I love that you were grubby too! That's a lesson in don't judge a book...
Terrific!