Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 1 of 21

I am doing the 21 day vegan kickstart.  I thought I'd write about it here.  There is no real political social drive to doing this-I just became aware of it, thought it sounded reasonable (21 days is not forever) and I've been looking for something to spark some interest in health.  Ok, I was looking for a catalyst-I'm interested in being healthy-just not interested enough to do much about it lately.

In preparation for health I gorged for the past week or so on any high fat, high cholestral meat based food that crossed my path, with additional points of sodium content.  So, today I woke up feeling pretty fat and bloated and ready for a change.

I already had things like beans, peanut butter and boca burgers-but I did buy some soy milk for my coffee and soy cheese for my beans-so I'm all set.  I read some recipes, but didn't go all out and prepare menu plans for the week because I don't roll that way.  I made a nice blackeyed pea/corn salad for lunch with enough leftover for one other meal-that's how I prefer to plan ahead.  An 8 serving something just depresses the hell out of me unless it's chili or cole slaw-which I can pretty much just eat on till they are gone.  I didn't make either of those on purpose because I felt like it would almost be cheating-I'll do that next week when I don't want to think so hard about things.

I did get the fixings for some baba ganoush-but I'll make it tomorrow.  I love that stuff, but they would kick me out of dog class tonight-so it's best eaten in solitude...I'm thoughtful that way.

1 comment:

studio lolo said...

brian and I eat a ton of boca burgers! We love the flame broiled ones the best.
And I made up a spinach, bean, carrot, lentil soup thing a few weeks ago and he begs me to make it all the time.

I couldn't go vegan though even though I eat mostly veggies and fish. I would miss the fish, but now I eat chicken too. I could do without that I suppose.

But no eggs or dairy? I don't think so.

Good luck with it Deb. And happy new year to you and all the furry-feathery ones!

xo♥